At St John’s Stonefold we aim to:
- Ensure progression of reading skills across the school.
- Inspire pupils to read through exciting shared experiences.
- Develop a clear understanding of the structure and language features
associated with different text types.
- teach pupils to decode letter-sound correspondences quickly and
effortlessly, using their phonic knowledge and skills.
- teach pupils to read ‘tricky’ words on sight.
- teach pupils to understand what they read.
- teach pupils to read aloud with fluency and expression.
- teach pupils to spell quickly and easily by segmenting the sounds in words.
- develop a love for reading.
Teaching and Learning
Our pupils learn to read and write effectively in KS1 using the Read Write Inc. Phonics programme. The programme is for pupils in Reception to Year 2 who are learning to read and write.
In Read Write Inc. Phonics pupils:
- decode letter-sound correspondences quickly and effortlessly, using their phonic knowledge and skills
- read common exception words on sight
- understand what they read
- read aloud with fluency and expression
- write confidently, with a strong focus on vocabulary and grammar
- spell quickly and easily by segmenting the sounds in words
- acquire good handwriting
In addition, children are taught to work effectively with a partner to explain and consolidate what they are learning. This provides the teacher with opportunities to assess learning and to pick up on difficulties, such as pupils’ poor articulation, or problems with blending or alphabetic code knowledge.
Pupils are grouped homogenously, according to their progress in reading rather than their writing. This is because it is known that pupils’ progress in writing will lag behind progress in reading, especially for those whose motor skills are less well developed.